This position involves the art of selling, the skill of estimating and the strategy of business development. Where business is to be conducted with a repeat customer, the candidate must present an articulate, courteous and professional demeanor. In meeting with a prospective client, the estimator must also show technical expertise, experience and be a conducive listener. Development of business recognizes that personal relationships and referrals are the most effective means for increasing sales volume and a patient, resourceful and willing personality is critical for long-term success in this position.
Strong competency with MS Excel, Word, Outlook
Excellent communication skills
Familiarity with blueprint reading and take offs
Familiarity with Benjamin Moore, Sherwin Williams paint products
Experience with troubleshooting paint failures
- Estimate accurately and profitably, using PCA and experience-based production rates
- Sell cost-competitive Catchlight painting and carpentry services while adhering to the highest ethical and professional standards.
- Prospect new clients to achieve and exceed assigned sales goals.
- Meet or exceed goals for close ratios, lead generation, and sales volume while meeting minimum Job Gross Profit JPG. (see below)
- Estimates will provide detailed information to the production department regarding colors, material selection scope of work, labor hours allocation, scheduling details.
- Submit estimates to clients within 48 hours of initial meeting.
- Review production rates, scope of work and other particulars with production manager before submitting to customer.
- Assess job performance post-production to refine production rates and improve accuracy of estimates.
- Assist president, production manager, foremen and other staff as needed to ensure successful business operations.
- Contribute, through constructive feedback and suggestion, to the company’s daily operations and success.
- Participate constructively and effectively in production and sales meetings.
- Work the necessary hours per week (full time) to fulfill all duties and responsibilities in a timely manner.
- Visit larger and long-term projects in progress to maintain a warm and supportive relationship with client.
- Track all sales data
- Hug your clients! Find creative ways to say ’thank you, we appreciate your business’.
- Participate effectively and constructively in project post-mortems where JGP underperformed to help develop corrections/solutions.
- Attend industry conferences (may involve travel and overnights – all expenses compensable)
- Business Casual: e.g. clean, pressed khakis and Catchlight golf shirt or oxford cloth shirt.
- Maintain a well-groomed appearance; daily shaving is required.
- Smoking is not permissible on or off the job or in company vehicles. Period.
- No visible tattoos or body pierced jewelry (except females who may have pierced ears).
- Positive attitude, energetic, honest, forthright, self-motivated and able to work effectively with others towards common goals.
- $6500.00 per annum to start
- Health - (Contribution of 50% to individual or family plan)
- PTO up to 14 days can be accrued annually
- Business coaching/estimating training as appropriate
- Retirement - (3% salary match)
- Tablet PC Company equipment
- Cell phone Company equipment
- Training Company expense
- Vehicle Personal, with allowance of $75 per week for gas and maintenance or company vehicle if available
- Conferences Company expense
- Memberships Company expenses( professional associations, Chamber, BNI, etc)
- Target sales generation $750,000.00
- Minimum target job gross profit (JGP) is 50%.
Missed sales goals or sustained average JGP of less than 50% during any 3 month period may cause termination.
- Close ratio of 35% minimum
Monthly minimum sales goals are weighted by season, as follows;
The estimator is required to develop business prospects, via networking (BNI), attendance at association events (ASID, NARI, IFDA, NKBA, and BRAGB), design shows. These meetings are typically after 5.00pm so flexibility in working hours is essential.
Work hours are at the estimator’s discretion but must also include some weekend availability and participation in weekly scheduled sales and production meetings.
We will provide a supportive work environment and offer training and professional development resources as appropriate.