Special Education Teacher Assistant
New York, NY 10022
Responsible for assisting the Special Education Teacher with the educational program of assigned classroom and/or students to facilitate the development and active involvement of the children throughout the school day. We are looking for Assistants for our Manhattan and Bronx locations. This position is 100% on-site and not remote. All candidates MUST be fully vaccinated before application is submitted.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Assist with the implementation of the educational program of assigned classroom and/or students to facilitate the development and active involvement of children in all educational activities.
- Follow the lesson plan as designed by the Teacher to meet the individual special needs of each child they’ve been assigned to.
- Assist with the observation and evaluation of each child as designed by the Teacher and other professionals.
- Assist the Teacher in maintaining a healthy and safe environment for the children, in accordance with all relevant federal, state, local and agency guidelines.
- Participate in the planning and preparation of the classroom, including cleaning and care of equipment and materials, in accordance with all relevant federal, state, local and agency guidelines.
- Assist with the embarking and discharging of children from the buses safely.
- If bi-lingual, translate communications between teachers and families.
- Actively participate in classroom team meetings.
- Perform other relevant duties and functions as assigned.
- Minimum age of 18 years; H.S Diploma or H.S. equivalency required. Associate’s Degree preferred.
- NYSED certification as a Teacher Assistant required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of behavioral management techniques and child development.
- Able to follow direction.
- Able to communicate effectively.
- Supportive, positive and patient attitude.
- Good computer skills including using software programs such as Word, Excel, Boardmaker, Google Meet, or Zoom.
- Flexibility and ability to adapt to changing needs within the program and classroom
- When working onsite, can consistently supervise children outside while exposed to the sun, rain, and/or weather and temperature changes adhering to the playground rules and gym play zones.
- When working onsite, is able to stand for extended periods.
- When working onsite, can consistently able to lift children up to 50 pounds from floor to waist height.
- Consistently able to deal effectively with working closely with children, parents, co-workers, and administration, either in person or remotely.